Thursday, September 13, 2012

My New Favorite Kitchen Gadget!

So a dumbbell is probably not what you were guessing, but I used it last night to make paninis with great success.  This should work on a grill but I used a stove top griddle with a grill side, like the one below.

This pan is currently on sale at Kohl's for $47.49.  (Get out that 30% coupon! :) )


I used Pam on the griddle and then placed two sandwiches on the pan.  I used dry bread (not buttered) and had filled the sandwich with cold cuts, cheese, and roasted red peppers.  I then topped the sandwiches with a jelly roll pan and placed the dumbbell on top of the jelly roll pan. (The weight I used was 10 lbs.)  If the weight has a plastic coating, you may want to lay a pot holder between the jelly roll pan and the dumbbell.  The sandwiches cook quickly (2-3 minutes a side) at medium heat.  You want to see dark golden brown grill marks on the bread.  Make sure to flip half way through.  Voila!  You have a panini press made out of items that you have lots of other uses for.  You can even work on your biceps while you are cooking! :)  

Make Ahead Tip: There is nothing like a straight off the "press" panini, however, I am obsessed with making meals ahead these days.  Grill up the paninis and refrigerate.  When you are ready to eat, heat in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes.

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment